The grammar of every language is meant to be learnt and applied accurately. Knowing all the grammatical rules but not knowing where and how it works will do you no good. Acing grammar can be done only by frequent practice. Nowadays, a number of grammar exercises are available online; all you have got to do is make time every day to work out some exercises. Now, you may ask if that is all that is required. No, you should analyse how the various grammatical components work when used in sentences and the ways in which they can be used.
What is your mood today? How about trying to work out some grammar exercises? You should have learnt what a conjunction is. Go through the following sentences and fill in the blanks by choosing the most appropriate conjunction from the list given.
(or, and, as soon as, even though, since, but, because, after, as, yet)
- ________ you reach home, make sure to call me.
- I have tried, _______ it just won’t work.
- ________ we were not talking at the time, she visited me at the hospital.
- Carol ______ Susan stay in New York.
- My mom did not go to work yesterday ________ she was terribly ill.
- She intimated the police _________ she found the missing car at the end of the street.
- ________ you told me you cannot make it, I postponed the get together.
- Midhuna was not very happy with the decision, ________ she said yes.
- Will it be possible for you to collect it ________ should I make arrangements to get it to you?
- They did not go for the movie ________ it was raining heavily.
- After you reach home, make sure to call me.
- I have tried, but it just won’t work.
- Even though we were not talking at the time, she visited me at the hospital.
- Carol and Susan stay in New York.
- My mom did not go to work yesterday as she was terribly ill.
- She intimated the police as soon as she found the missing car at the end of the street.
- Since you told me you cannot make it, I postponed the get together.
- Midhuna was not very happy with the decision, yet she said yes.
- Will it be possible for you to collect it or should I make arrangements to get it to you?
- They did not go for the movie because it was raining heavily.
You would probably know that the parts of speech are essential to form a complete and meaningful sentence, whereas there are other grammatical components such as a figure of speech and an idiom used to make the language more figurative and fun. Here is an exercise to check your understanding of figures of speech. Go through the following sentences and identify the figure of speech used.
- The wind whistled soothing tunes.
- Esther is as busy as a bee.
- We were extremely sad that our dog was being euthanised, but everyone saw it as an act of kind cruelty.
- Hearing the chirping of birds in the morning just makes my day a lot better.
- My brother always acts as if he could eat a whole elephant.
- I bought a black bird.
- The little girl was a lion in the fight.
- I see you like green peas.
- My uncle passed away last week.
- Can you give me a hand?